3 Year Clinical Rotations offered by SME
Posted on 18 Dec 2020
Rotations are offered in University Hospitals, GP Surgeries, Mental Health Centers and Rehabilitation Hospitals in more than 25 departments (please see the full list below). Medical students have the opportunity to adjust the duration of each rotation according to their University’s respective study syllabus.
- Medical Specialties: Cardiology, Respiratory Medicine, Gastroenterology, Stroke Medicine, Neurology, Diabetes & Endocrinology, Haematology, Dermatology
- Surgical Specialties: Trauma & Orthopaedics, General Surgery, Urology, ENT, Maxillofacial, Ophthalmology, Vascular, Breast, Neurosurgery, Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Care of the Elderly
- Emergency Medicine
- Oncology & Palliative Care
- Family Medicine
- Musculoskeletal Medicine
Hospitals provide dedicated teaching (i.e. tutorials) for at least 3-4 hours per week, teaching on ward rounds and a self-directed learning guidance under the supervision of recognized attending staff. Students will have the opportunity to get first hand exposure in various areas, such as:
- Attending ward rounds, presentations and teaching.
- Learning about disease management with consultants and senior registrars.
- Getting hands-on experience in clerking.
- Taking a history.
- Performing clinical examinations.
- Completing necessary jobs to manage the patient’s condition such as phlebotomy, sending blood to the pathology labs, ordering scans, making referrals etc.
- Attending the wards and learning about the common jobs that all junior doctors need to know such as changing a catheter, arterial gasses, prescribing fluids etc.
- Attending outpatient clinics and learning about the nature of follow up appointments.
- Learning how to compose discharge summaries and organising TTOs for patient’s scheduled to go home.
- Learning how to communicate with patients and with their family members.
- Joining the team working on-call and learning how to handle the stresses of working on-call.
Hospitals also offer pastoral support by a supervisor. They will visit the students regularly in order to recognise their needs throughout the duration of their studies. At the end of each rotation, hospitals will organise OSCE exams and consultants sign off both the Student Book and the Attendance Register book.
Although our Partner Hospitals offer high standards of Quality Assurance/Educational Governance, SME performs regular audits inspecting the hospitals while offering rotations in order to assess overall compliance with one or more regulations, internal policies, or other compliance drivers.
Rotations are offered on a first come first served basis and upon each hospital’s availability. Interested students will need to send us their CVs and the name of university where they are currently studying. We would also need to know the name of the department that they would like to attend and for how long.