Why Choose the Medical University of Varna?
- The Medical University of Varna was founded in 1961.
- The university is a well-established and recognised medical institution with state of the art scientific and academic facilities for its students and staff.
- The university offers highly regarded master’s programmes in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, and public health.
- There are also several postgraduate programmes available with specific focus on the area of diagnostic and therapeutic education.
- Since 1961, more than 8,351 Bulgarian students and over 977 foreign students, from more than 45 different countries, have graduated from the university.
- It is home to over 18 professors, 78 deputy professors and 284 assistant professors, many well known in their respective fields of medicine all over the world.
- The university publishes the scientific magazine “Scripta Scientifica Medica”, a highly regarded academic publication globally.
- The campus is in the heart of the beautiful city of Varna, recently voted the best city in Bulgaria.
- The university has a variety of social and sports clubs and all students have access to the state of the art sports facilities.
How are the Medicine & Dentistry courses taught?
- The medicine course is taught entirely in English and lasts 6 years.
- The first two years focus on pre-clinical study and theory with the next three years for the most part concentrating on clinical study.
- Summer practical internships are obligatory for students in their 2nd, 3rd and 4th year of studies.
- The programme is completed with an internship year of medical rotations prior to graduation.
- During their internship year, students are required to take state exams for licensing. All course work is aligned with EU requirements.
- Once the requirements of the academic programme have been met and the state exams have been passed, students will receive the professional qualification physician or Doctor of Medicine (MD) and a master's degree recognised around the world.
- Medicine graduates of Bulgarian universities are employed globally with some staying Bulgaria to complete their area of specialisation.
- Dentistry is taught through English at Varna Medical University.
- The course lasts just over six years and includes an internship during the last 6 months.
- For the first two years, the focus is on the theory and the fundamentals of medical and biological knowledge.
- Clinical training takes place from the third to fifth year and includes general clinical practice as well as special training in pre-clinical and post-clinical dentistry procedures.
- There are obligatory summer internships during the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year of studies.
- The internship programme before graduation includes work in all course areas and at the end of their 6th year students must also pass a state exam.
- On successful completion of the entire course, students are awarded a master's degree and the title of Dentist - a qualification recognised globally.
- Dentistry graduates from Bulgarian Universities go on to work in a variety of places around the world including the USA, Canada, the UK, and India.
- Graduates can also continue with their areas of study specialisation in Bulgaria and enjoy the low living costs and gain access to state funding.
How much do the Medicine & Dentistry programmes cost?
||Annual Fees (£)
|Rent (private accommodation)
|Electricity & Gas
|TV Cable / Internet
Admission to Varna Medical University
Candidates must submit the following documents:
- A completed application form including a brief bio, your education and the courses you wish to apply for.
- A copy of all secondary education completed with an academic transcript stating the disciplines you have studied.
- Documents confirming your right to continue education in higher schools and universities from your country of origin.
- A health certificate not issued more than a month prior to your application and verified in the country from which you are applying.
- Two 4/5 cm photographs.
- All the above documentation must be translated into Bulgarian and satisfy official state directives.
Life in Varna
- Varna is the third biggest city in Bulgaria with an estimated population of 334,870. It is known as “The maritime capital of Bulgaria”.
- Varna is the biggest town on the Bulgarian coast and is a popular tourist destination and an active business area.
- Varna is a well-known centre for arts and music and there are more than twenty art and music festivals every year.
- On the quaint cobbled streets, there is plenty wonderful architecture to admire, reflecting the many architectural movements through the centuries to the modern style of today’s buildings.
- Buildings include the Euxinograd Palace, the Archaeological Museum, and the Naval Museum. You can also relax in the city park known as “Sea World”.
Living in Bulgaria
- Bulgaria has a population of approximately 7.5 million and is a city with a rich history spanning almost 2,400 years.
- It is highly regarded for its strong industrial and agricultural market economy.
- The capital is Sofia with a strong economy and growing population of close to 1.2 million.
- Bulgaria was under communist influence from 1946 to 1990 but now the country is run on a system of parliamentary democracy and is a free market economy.
- Efforts to improve country’s economy and educational system are now paying dividends.
- The country’s membership of the EU in 2007 is further evidence of the progress Bulgaria has made.
- In the intervening period, many Bulgarian Universities were developed and are now regarded as some of best in Eastern Europe.
- Life in Bulgaria is much more affordable than in other EU countries, making it an extremely popular destination for students all over the world.
- Bulgaria is now a multicultural country with people from all parts of the world calling it their home.