Open days
Register To
Join one of our Open Days
SearchOpen daysSearch

+1. When does the academic year begin at Bulgarian or Romanian Medical Universities?

The academic year begins in the beginning of October and finishes at the end of June. Each academic year comprises two semesters which end with a final exam.

+2. How long is the program of medicine, dentistry or veterinary medicine at Bulgarian or Romanian University Medical Schools?

In both countries the program of Medicine lasts for 6 years, Dentistry for 6 years and Veterinary Medicine for 5.5-6 years (Bulgarian Veterinary Universities offer a 5.5 year program, while Romanian Veterinary Universities offer a 6 year program). All programs include required preclinical and clinical years or practical training along with mandatory internship work during your last year of studies. After completing the program, students have to sit for the license exam in order to be awarded their Degree and be eligible to attend their graduation ceremony.

+3. What is the number of students in each class at Bulgarian or Romania Medical Universities (student-teacher ratio)?

Every year, the Medical Universities of Bulgaria and Romania accept between 30 and 100 students in each program, depending on class capacity. However, lectures take place in smaller groups of students (5-10) depending on the nature and the requirements of each course.

+4. Will the University courses in Medicine, Dentistry of Veterinary medicine be taught in English?

Courses are taught in English; however, student must gain basic knowledge of the local language as part of the university program in order to be capable to interact with patients of the University hospital from their 4th year of studies onwards.

+5. Do Bulgarian and Romanian Medical Universities use the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) and if yes, how many credits should I have in order to complete my studies in medicine, dentistry or in veterinary medicine?

All Bulgarian and Romanian Medical Universities use the ECTS. Each student needs to have 60 credits in each academic year or a total of 360 credits from all 6 years of studies in order to graduate with a degree of Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary medicine.

+6. How many months should I spend studying abroad?

It is very common for most students to spend at least 8 months studying abroad and return back to their home for Christmas, Easter and during summer. Others stay along and enjoy life abroad or work in an internship or as part of a co-op programme which we help find for them, for additional experience. It's up to you.

+7. Do I need a student visa to study in Bulgaria or Romania?

You do not need a student visa in Bulgaria if you are a European citizen or reside within one of the 26 countries that comprise the Schengen area, a citizen of a common-wealth country, or if you are a citizen of Andorra, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Republic of Korea, San Marino, the USA, Israel, Uruguay, Venezuela, Hong Kong or Makao. In Romania, European citizens or citizens of Canada, Croatia, Japan, Moldova, South Korea, Switzerland, USA and Serbia do not need a student visa due to bi-lateral agreements. All other nationals are required to apply for a student visa prior to their arrival to Bulgaria or Romania, or may issue one at customs upon their arrival, although this is by no means advisable, unless you want to be stranded at an airport.

+8. Are the qualifications received at Bulgarian and Romanian Medical Schools internationally recognised?

All Bulgarian and Romanian University Medical schools are internationally accredited Institutions and their Degrees are recognised globally. They are listed on the WHO (World Health Organization) directory of international medical schools and are on the IMED (International Medical Education Directory) public database of worldwide medical schools.

+9. In which countries can I practice medicine after obtaining the Doctor of Medicine Diploma or relevant Degree from a Bulgarian or Romanian Medical university?

You can practice in the country of your choice given that all the Bulgarian and Romanian University Medical School Degrees are recognized globally from the local bodies responsible for accrediting the majority of graduate medical training programs (the USA and UK bodies are ACGME and GMC, respectively). All medical graduates from both countries should register with the local body of the country that want to practice medicine before they can legally practice if they are EU graduates, or additionally go through any assessment procedure through the respective local bodies if they are non-EU graduates. More particularly, EU graduates interested in practicing in the UK, are entitled to register directly into the Foundation Year 2 (FY2). The same applies for students who want to have their residency in Germany, France or any other European country, as they can enter straight into local internship programmes. Additionally, graduates of Bulgarian and Romanian Medical Universities who want to practice in non-EU countries can secure a place to sit for the required entrance exams and assessment by local bodies. For instance, US nationals should register with the ECFMG (Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates) in order to complete the USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Examination) examination. Another example would be Canadian nationals who should register with the MCC (Medical Council of Canada) in order to pass the MCCEE (Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination).

+10. Will Brexit affect my studies?

The degrees that our students obtain from our Partner Universities in Bulgaria and Romania will continue to be recognized by the respective medical councils after Britain has left the European Union. This is due to the fact that past intergovernmental and bilateral treaties and conventions among states within and outside the EU grant graduates recognition and equal work opportunities both within and outside European Union borders.

Regarding the PLAB test, EU graduates will still not have to take that exam. Yet as far as exams are concerned, no one can really tell with certainty whether European degree holders will need to take any tests or not before registering with the GMC. At the moment, no exam whatsoever needs to be taken upon EU graduates’ return to the UK. It is likely that the case will remain as such after the Brexit. Worst case scenario, EU graduates will need to take the MLA (Medical Licencing Assessment) which is currently being planned to be put into effect for UK graduates to take before they register with the GMC in 2020. So, in other words, they will either not be required to sit for any exams or they will be in the exact same position as UK medical graduates. In any case, they will definitely not be at a disadvantage, even after Britain has left the EU.

Subscribe to Our Newsletters

Check Out Our Brochure


Download Mobile App

Connect With Us