Why Choose the 'Grigore T. Popa' University of Medicine and Pharmacy?
- It is one of the oldest educational institutions in Romania.
- The university was founded in 1879 by the renowned neuro-endocrinologist Grigore T. Popa.
- The medical centre is home to 28 laboratories, several auditoriums and a library with more than 470,000 volumes of books, dissertations, theses and international scientific magazines and journals.
- The university is luck enough to work with over 800 renowned professors offering highly regarded graduate and postgraduate programs to more than 4,000 students.
- Gr. Popa University has earned its reputation by proofing its quality through the years and is now regarded as one of the best medical institutions in Eastern Europe.
How is the Medicine course studied?
- The medicine course lasts for 6 years and is taught entirely in English.
- The first three years of the programme focus on preclinical studies covering the fundamentals and includes theory, assigned independent research and laboratory work.
- The next three years focus on clinical education which includes surgical and preventive medicine courses as well as hospital experience.
- Every summer from the 1st to 5th year of studies, students must work in university affiliated hospitals as part of their summer practice.
- In their final year, students must write a dissertation based on a research on a topic they agree on with their instructor.
- At the end of their studies, students will take a state graduation exam which includes a written exam, an oral presentation-exam and a clinical case study exam.
- Upon successful completion of all requirements, students are awarded a Master's Degree and the title of Physician (MD).
- All qualifications are recognised internationally and graduates can continue their practice in Romania, another EU member state or another country of their choice.
What is the cost of the programme?
||Annual Fees (£)
|Rent (private accommodation)
|Electricity & Gas
|TV Cable / Internet
Admission to 'Grigore T. Popa' University of Medicine and Pharmacy?
Applicants must submit the following documents:
- A filled-out application form.
- Their bachelor’s degree or an equivalent copy and authenticated translation in Romanian – two copies required. (must be translated if the original is in another language than English or French) and transcripts of records / diploma supplement (copy).
- Transcript of academic records and syllabus of all university studies.
- Copy of valid passport (pages 1-4) or an official valid ID.
- Birth certificate – a copy and translation in Bulgarian is required.
- Medical certificate containing evidence of vaccination against hepatitis B, any chronic diseases, and psychological assessment.
- Four passport -sized photos.
Life in Iasi
- Iasi is the second biggest city in Romania with a population of around 343,000 people. The area surrounding Iasi consists of valleys, vineyards and lush forests.
- The city has a rich history but it wasn’t until the 1950s after an extended period of peace and heavy industrialization that the city started showing signs of the prosperity we see today.
- Iasi’s long history has given the area some wonderful historical buildings that really help to give the city its character.
- The city is a great place to live for students and is alive with a great selection of bars and discos for students to relax from their studies.
- A transport system is available 24 hours a day making it easy for students to get from A to B on a daily basis.
Life in Romania
- Romania is located in the Southeast of Europe and has an estimated population of 19 million people. Bucharest, the country’s capital, has a population of around 1.7 million.
- After WWII, the country was until 1989 influenced by communism but it is today a free market economy and a major player globally.
- In recent decades, Romania has become a very modern economy and enjoys a similar standard of living to other EU member states.
- Moreover, the low cost of living in Romania and the top-quality universities makes it an extremely popular destination for students in Europe and all around the world.