Why Study Medicine in English at “Grigore T. Popa” University of Medicine and Pharmacy – Iasi?
No entry exams
Up to the last 3 years
+Why Choose the “Grigore T. Popa” University of Medicine and Pharmacy – Iasi?
- It is one of the oldest educational institutions in Romania.
- The university was founded in 1879 by the renowned neuro-endocrinologist Grigore T. Popa.
- The medical centre is home to 28 laboratories, several auditoriums and a library with more than 470,000 volumes of books, dissertations, theses and international scientific magazines and journals.
- The university is luck enough to work with over 800 renowned professors offering highly regarded graduate and postgraduate programs to more than 4,000 students.
- The university has earned its reputation by proofing its quality through the years and is now regarded as one of the best medical institutions in Eastern Europe.
+How is the Medicine course studied?
- The medicine course lasts for 6 years and is taught entirely in English.
- The first three years of the programme focus on preclinical studies covering the fundamentals and includes theory, assigned independent research and laboratory work.
- The next three years focus on clinical education which includes surgical and preventive medicine courses as well as hospital experience.
- Every summer from the 1st to 5th year of studies, students must work in university affiliated hospitals as part of their summer practice.
- In their final year, students must write a dissertation based on a research on a topic they agree on with their instructor.
- At the end of their studies, students will take a state graduation exam which includes a written exam, an oral presentation-exam and a clinical case study exam.
- Upon successful completion of all requirements, students are awarded a Master’s Degree and the title of Physician (MD).
- All qualifications are recognised internationally and graduates can continue their practice in Romania, another EU member state or another country of their choice.
+What is the cost of the programme?
|Programme||Programme Starts||Annual Fees ()|
|Living Costs||Monthly ()||Annually ()|
|Rent (private accommodation)||219–277||2,628–3,504|
|Electricity & Gas||37||355|
|TV Cable / Internet||15||175|
+Admission to ‘Grigore T. Popa’ University of Medicine and Pharmacy – Iasi
Applicants must submit the following documents:
- A filled-out application form.
- Their bachelor’s degree or an equivalent copy and authenticated translation in Romanian – two copies required. (must be translated if the original is in another language than English or French) and transcripts of records / diploma supplement (copy).
- Transcript of academic records and syllabus of all university studies.
- Copy of valid passport (pages 1-4) or an official valid ID.
- Birth certificate – a copy and translation in Bulgarian is required.
- Medical certificate containing evidence of vaccination against hepatitis B, any chronic diseases, and psychological assessment.
- Four passport -sized photos.
+Life in Iasi
- Iasi is the second biggest city in Romania with a population of around 343,000 people. The area surrounding Iasi consists of valleys, vineyards and lush forests.
- The city has a rich history but it wasn’t until the 1950s after an extended period of peace and heavy industrialization that the city started showing signs of the prosperity we see today.
- Iasi’s long history has given the area some wonderful historical buildings that really help to give the city its character.
- The city is a great place to live for students and is alive with a great selection of bars and discos for students to relax from their studies.
- A transport system is available 24 hours a day making it easy for students to get from A to B on a daily basis.
+Life in Romania
- Romania is located in the Southeast of Europe and has an estimated population of 19 million people. Bucharest, the country’s capital, has a population of around 1.7 million.
- After WWII, the country was until 1989 influenced by communism but it is today a free market economy and a major player globally.
- In recent decades, Romania has become a very modern economy and enjoys a similar standard of living to other EU member states.
- Moreover, the low cost of living in Romania and the top-quality universities makes it an extremely popular destination for students in Europe and all around the world.
Watch Our Videos
Real Success Stories
Open DaysEntry ExamsNetworking Events