Why Study Medicine or Dentistry in English at Plovdiv Medical University?
Exams in Biology & Chemistry
- Medicine: €8,000/year
- Dentistry: €8,000/year
Up to the last 3 years
+Why Choose the Medical University of Plovdiv?
- The Plovdiv Medical University, founded in 1945, is a modern public university consisting of four schools. (Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Healthcare)
- The university employs over 130 professors and 600 deputy and assistant professors.
- All professors are well respected scientists and have completed research for several international scientific magazines and journals.
- The university is home to over 3,800 native and international students, studying for courses including bachelor, postgraduate, masters, doctorate, and post-doctorate programmes.
- The university library is stocked with high quality educational and academic material, with more than 170,000 volumes of material in a variety of languages.
- The university is responsible for the publication of the Folia Medica”, one of the most well respected medical magazines in Bulgaria since 1959.
- Young scientists studying at the university can enter their work into the “Youth & Science” competition run by the Minority Scientific Association every year.
+What do the Medicine & Dentistry courses involve?
- The medicine course is an entirely English-taught programme and lasts six years.
- The first two years focus on pre-clinical study and theory with the next three years focusing predominantly on clinical study.
- The programme finishes with an internship year of medical rotations in the lead up to graduation. Students are required to take state exams for licensing during this period.
- All course curriculum, laboratory work, and research assignments are in line with EU requirements.
- Summer practical internships are obligatory for students in their 2nd, 3rd and 4th year of studies.
- Once the entire programme is completed and state exams have been passed, students will become a Physician or Doctor of Medicine (MD) and receive a master’s degree.
- While some graduates continue their specialisation choices in Bulgaria, the degree and license are fully recognised worldwide.
- Graduates of Bulgarian universities who practice and hold medical qualifications internationally are in the thousands.
- The dentistry course at Plovdiv Medical University is completed in English.
- The course lasts a little over six years, culminating in an internship of about six months.
- For the first two years, the course is theory focused and includes study on the fundamentals of medical and biological knowledge.
- Clinical training takes place between years three and five and includes special training in pre-clinical and post-clinical dentistry procedures.
- Obligatory summer practical internships take place during the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year of studies.
- The course finishes with an internship programme and students are required to pass a state exam at the end of the year.
- On completion of the programme you are awarded a master’s degree and the title of Dentist. With this qualification, you can practice dentistry all over the world.
- Some dentistry graduates choose to stay in Bulgaria due to the low living costs and availability of state funding.
- Graduates from this university have gained employment in dentistry in many countries all over the world including the USA, the UK and India.
+How much do the Medicine & Dentistry programmes cost?
|Programme||Programme Starts||Annual Fees ()|
|Living Costs||Monthly ()||Annually ()|
|Rent (private accommodation)||219–277||2,628–3,504|
|Electricity & Gas||37||355|
|TV Cable / Internet||15||175|
+Admission to Plovdiv Medical University
Applicants must submit the following:
- An application form including a brief bio, your educational history and the courses you are applying for.
- Diploma (a copy) of completed secondary education and an accompanying academic transcript stating the disciplines studied.
- Document issued by relevant authorities in your home country, certifying the right to continue education in higher schools and universities.
- A recent health certificate, issued less than a month ago, and verified in the country from which the candidate is applying.
- Two 4/5 cm photographs.
- All documentation must be translated into Bulgarian and in line with official state directives.
+More Information about Plovdiv City
- Plovdiv is the second biggest city of Bulgaria with an estimated population of 381,110.
- The name “Plovdiv” first appeared in sources dating back to the 15th century in religious manuscripts of the many monasteries in the area.
- In the late 19th century, Plovdiv witnessed fantastic economic development that continued throughout the 20th century.
- At present, Plovdiv is one of the most prosperous and important cities in Bulgaria, with a particularly strong agricultural sector.
- The city has fantastic natural beauty and a unique architectural landscape, including a wonderful statue of Phillip II.
- Lucian, the famous Greek Author and rhetorician, described Plovdiv as “the most beautiful and lovely of all cities”.
+More information about Bulgaria
- Bulgaria has a population of around 7.5 million and the country has a strong industrial and agricultural economy.
- Its capital, Sofia, enjoys a thriving economy with a population of around 1.2 million.
- From 1946 to 1990, Bulgaria was under communist influence but today the country has a system of parliamentary democracy and is a free market economy.
- The strong Bulgarian economy was strengthened still further when the country became members of the EU in January 2007.
- Many a Bulgarian city, Sofia and Plovdiv particularly, are highly regarded for their cultural and historical significance.
- The Bulgaria of today has blossoming architecture and booming economic activity.
- This has led to the significant development of the Bulgarian Universities, some of which are regarded as the best in Eastern Europe.
- Better yet, life in Bulgaria is reasonably cheap when compared with other EU countries, making it an extremely popular destination for students the world over.
- Modern Bulgaria is at its heart a multicultural nation and is home to a wonderful mix of people from many ethnicities.
Watch Our Videos
Real Success Stories
Open DaysEntry ExamsNetworking Events