Why Study Medicine in English at the Victoria University of Barbados?
No entry exams
January, May, September
Up to the last 2 years
+ Why Choose Victoria University of Barbados?
- Victoria University of Barbados (VUB) located in Warren, St. Michaels is one of North America’s fastest growing and most highly-regarded medical schools.
- The quality VUB experience is shown in its lecturer to student ratio of 3:2, extensive clinical practice and patient treatment training, and cutting-edge facilities with an Anatomy Lab, Physics and Chemistry Lab, Microbiology Lab, and Computer Lab.
- The university has a diverse, experienced multinational faculty who teach in English and share their expertise in teaching, mentorship, and post-graduate support initiatives.
- VUB is well-recognised as a leading international university by the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER) and is listed in the Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE).
+ The 4-Year Medicine Programme
- VUB graduates from the 4-Year Undergraduate Medicine Programme are qualified with a Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree.
- The VUB curriculum is taught in English and structured into four years of learning; the first two years of Basic Sciences is comprised of 84 weeks (6 Terms), then two years of clinical rotations comprising 88 weeks of Core and Electives.
- The first two years of Basic Sciences comprise the following theory subjects: Human Anatomy, Histology, Embryology, Medical Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Medical Physiology, Molecular Medicine & Medical Genetics, Doctor Patient Relationship, Microbiology and Immunology, Behavioral Science and Ethics, General Pathology, Pharmacology, Systemic Pathology, Public Health Epidemiology and Statistic, Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Introduction to Clinical Medicine, Pathophysiology, Physical Diagnosis and Community Practice, Research in Health and Medicine.
- Clinical Rotations are 60 weeks of Core Rotations (Internal Medicine: 12 weeks, Surgery: 12 weeks, Obstetrics & Gynecology: 12 weeks, Pediatrics: 12 weeks, Orthopedics: 6 weeks, Psychiatry: 6 weeks), then, 28 weeks of Elective Rotations (Family Medicine: 6 weeks, and, 5 other rotations: 4 weeks each depending on student preferences).
- Clinical rotations are undertaken at local hospitals and medical facilities in Guyana; Core Rotations and Elective Rotations completed consecutively without breaks.
- There are no entry exams and three student intakes per annum (January, May, September).
+ How Will Online Study Be Offered?
- Students will study all Basis Sciences modules online, then, at the end of each Term, they will complete a week of online exams.
- Students will study the final six weeks of Year Two on-campus structured into four weeks of laboratories followed by a two-week exam block.
- Online learning involves an interactive platform with live-streamed classes, recorded lectures, question banks, and more.
+ What do the Clinical Rotations in the UK Involve?
- VUB coordinates international clinical rotations for up to two years.
- After application, clinical placements in the UK are offered to students based on matching their application preferences to available hospital spaces.
- Clinical rotations in the UK cost £400 per week.
+ How Much Does the Programme Cost?
|Programme||Programme Starts||Annual Fees (*) ($)|
|Medicine||January, May & September||8,000 /year|
|Living Costs||Monthly ()||Annually ()|
|Rent (Private Accommodation)||230–310||2,760–3,630|
|Electricity & Gas||60||490|
*This is a special offer exclusive to SME students from VUB.
+ Admission to Victoria University of Barbados
Applicants must provide the following information:
- An application which includes the following details: bio, education history, and course for which you are applying.
- A copy of your secondary education results with subjects studied.
- Two small photos of 4-5cm.
- A personal statement.
- One to Two letters of recommendation.
+ Medical Council Requirements for Recognising Medical Degrees
- Many of the world’s Medical Councils require that the Medical School that awarded the Doctor of Medicine degree (MD) be listed on the World Directory of Medical Schools (WDMS).
- Additionally, each region has its own requirements:
- The General Medical Council (GMC) expects a medical degree to have a minimum 5,500 Clock Hours over a minimum period of three years.
- The Educational Commission For Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) requires a medical degree to have a minimum duration of four years.
- The Australian Medical Council (AMC) maintains an additional database of Recognised Medical Schools.
- It also requires a medical degree to have a minimum duration of four years.
+ Life in Warrens
- Warrens is a southwesterly city on the island of Barbados that is considered a perfect balance of an urban and natural environment.
- Students can enjoy a calm city setting with modern amenities and stunning beaches.
- The city is close to numerous UNESCO World Heritage Sites with historic, cultural, social, and lifestyle attractions.
- Getting around Warrens is easy via public transport and private transfer services.
+ Life in Barbados
- Barbados is the most easterly of the Caribbean Islands with thriving political, economic, and social offerings.
- English is the official language of Barbados and many residents also speak ‘Bajan’, an English-based Creole dialect influenced by West Africa.
- An international airport connects Barbados with North America and Europe enabling easy transits for students and visitors alike.
- The friendly people, food scene, adventure activities, beaches, gardens, and tropical climate are all charming and delightful draws of living in Barbados.
Watch Our Videos
Real Success Stories
Open DaysEntry ExamsNetworking Events