Why Study Medicine in English at Pleven Medical University?
Exams in Biology & Chemistry
+Why Choose Pleven Medical University?
- Since 1974, the Pleven Medical University has specialised in providing high quality Medicine and Healthcare education.
- The university is well regarded the world over and is considered one of the best medical institutions in Bulgaria.
- International students coming from non-English-speaking countries are offered a preparatory course in English to make their transition easier and course work more manageable.
- The Academic Hospital is home to a number of specialised clinics with state of the art research facilities.
- The university employs over 60 highly qualified professors and 300 assistant professors, the majority of whom are renowned in scientific and medical communities around the world.
- The university library is one of the largest in Bulgaria and is home to 74,000 volumes of medical books in Bulgarian and English.
- The complex has its own soccer, basketball and volleyball courts and accommodation for students on the university campus.
+How is the 6-Year Medicine programme taught?
- Medicine is an entirely English-taught programme lasting for 6 years, spanning 10 semesters of academic training.
- In Bulgaria, the course is typically structured so that the first 2 years focus on pre-clinical study and theory with the next 3 years focusing primarily on clinical study.
- The programme finishes with an internship of medical rotations before graduation. During their internship year, each student must take their exams for licensing.
- Students must also complete summer practical internships in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4 year of studies.
- Upon completion of all requirements, students receive the professional qualification of Physician or Doctor of Medicine (MD) and are awarded a Master’s Degree recognised worldwide.
- At present, graduates of Bulgarian universities practicing medicine internationally are in the thousands.
+How much does the programme cost?
|Programme||Programme Starts||Annual Fees ()|
|Living Costs||Monthly ()||Annually ()|
|Rent (private accommodation)||161–219||1,927–2,628|
|Electricity & Gas||37||355|
|TV Cable / Internet||15||175|
+Admission to Pleven Medical University
Applicants must submit the following documents:
- An application form with the CV of the candidate attached.
- A secondary school certificate with a statement of results. The certificate should be translated into Bulgarian and legalised at the Bulgarian Embassy in your home country.
- A medical certificate issued less than one month prior to the application date declaring that the applicant is in good enough physical and mental health to pursue a course in Medicine. This certificate should be translated and legalised as above.
- A certificate stating that the applicant has the right /is eligible/ to continue his/her education into a higher educational institution in his/her own country. This again needs to be translated to Bulgarian.
- Four recently-taken passport sized colour photos.
- Copy of international passport.
+Life in Pleven
- Pleven is the seventh biggest city in Bulgaria with a population of around 106,000 people.
- The city is located 170 km from Sofia in a beautiful rural territory surrounded by low hills called Pleven Heights.
- The events that transpired in the city during the Rosso-Turkish wars between 1877-78 played a vital role in freeing both Bulgaria and Romania from the Ottoman Empire.
- Pleven’s rich history and strategic location has helped to create the blossoming and modern fast-paced economic development the city enjoys today.
- The city is filled with wonderful theatres including the Ivan Radoev Dramatic Theatre and for the sporty types there is a huge interest in sports in the city.
+Life in Bulgaria
- Bulgaria is located in the Southeast of Europe with a population of 7.5 million. The capital city of Sofia enjoys a particularly thriving economy with a population of 1.2 million people.
- It has become a strong agricultural and industrial economy and is a very welcoming place for students from all parts of the world.
- The growth of the Bulgarian economy was reinforced when they became members of the EU in 2007.
- Bulgaria enjoys a relatively low cost of living relative to other EU member states, making it a great choice for students all over the world.
Watch Our Videos
Real Success Stories
Open DaysEntry ExamsNetworking Events