Why Study Medicine in English at Commonwealth University College of Medicine in the Caribbean Islands?
No entry exams
January, May, September
Up to the last 1.5 years
- Commonwealth University College of Medicine (CUCOM) is one of the foremost modern medical schools in the Northern Hemisphere with an ethos of educational empowerment, excellence, and progressive health training.
- The university is considered a globally-preferred learning destination with a mission of teaching students through Basic Sciences, Clinical, and Research mentorships, merging clinical practice with technological innovation, and facilitating comprehensive methodological competency that equips graduates with proven adaptive and critical skills.
- CUCOM’s professional faculty is highly-regarded for their parallel teaching methodologies that integrate Basic Sciences, early exposure to Clinical Rotations and practices, provision of community and universal healthcare, and preparing students for 21st century medical practice.
- Accreditations for CUCOM are in the World Directory of Medical Schools (WDOMS), World Federation for Medical Education (WFME), the Foundation for the Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER), as well as partnerships with professional education leaders including Lecture, McGraw Hill, and Medtrics.
- CUCOM graduates hold an internationally-recognised degree of Doctor of Medicine (MD).
- The medical programme duration is 3 Years.
- The course is taught entirely in English and the undergraduate medicine curriculum is structured into 1.5 years of Basic Sciences for 5 Study Trimesters, then 1.5 years of Clinical Rotations (Core Rotations and Elective Rotations).
- Students complete Basic Sciences via Online Live Lectures with modules in: MD I: Fundamental Concepts, Musculoskeletal System, Holistic Health, Healthcare Quality I; MD II: Nutrition and Metabolism, Nervous System, Holistic Health II, Healthcare Quality II; MD III: Respiratory System, Gastrointestinal System, Holistic Health III, Healthcare Quality III; MD IV: Cardiovascular System, Hematopoietic System, Holistic Health IV, Healthcare Quality IV; and, MD V: Renal system, Endocrine and Reproductive system, Infectious diseases, Holistic Health V.
- Core Rotations are for 48 weeks comprising: Surgery: 12 weeks; Internal Medicine: 12 weeks; Paediatrics: 6 weeks; Family Medicine: 6 weeks; Psychiatry: 6 weeks; and, Obstetrics & Gynaecology: 6 weeks. Elective Rotations are for 28 weeks comprising 7 elective modules based on student’s preference (each elective rotation has a duration of 4 weeks).
- Clinical rotations are completed at the university’s affiliate teaching hospital, Victoria Hospital, in Saint Lucia and curriculum modules are structured in line with leading North American Medical Schools.
- CUCOM has no entry exams and students can choose from one of the three intakes per annum (January, May, September).
- CUCOM students study all Basic Science modules online using the Live Lectures format.
- Students undertake all of the programme’s first 1.5 years of Basic Sciences (5 Trimesters) online before progressing to on-campus Clinical Rotations for the final 1.5 years.
- The university’s online platform enables virtual course completion studying an integrated curriculum with faculty providing extensive student support.
- The university coordinates international clinical rotation opportunities for up to 1.5 years.
- Placement offers are made based on student applications and matching their preferences to available rotations in teaching hospitals and clinical facilities in the UK.
- Clinical rotations in the UK cost $400 per week.
|Programme||Programme Starts||Annual Fees (*) ($)|
|Medicine||January, May & September||$6950 /year|
|Living Costs||Monthly ($)||Annually ($)|
|Rent (Private Accommodation)||400–580||4800–6960|
|Utility Bills (Electricity, Gas &Water)||80||960|
*This is a special offer exclusive to SME students from CUCOM if students pay in one instalment, or, the fees are $7,600 if students pay in two equal instalments.
Applicants must provide the following information:
- An application which includes the following details: bio, education history, and course for which you are applying.
- A copy of your secondary education results with subjects studied.
- Two small photos of 4-5cm.
- A personal statement.
- One to Two letters of recommendation.
Many of the world’s Medical Councils require that the Medical School that awarded the Doctor of Medicine degree (MD) be listed on the World Directory of
Medical Schools (WDMS).
Additionally, each region has its own requirements:
- UK The General Medical Council (GMC) expects a medical degree to have a minimum 5,500 Clock Hours over a minimum period of three years.
- USA The Educational Commission For Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) requires a medical degree to have a minimum duration of four years.
- Australia The Australian Medical Council (AMC) maintains an additional database of Recognised Medical Schools. It also requires a medical degree to have a minimum duration of four years.
- This charming island city has flourished from its roots as a fishing village to be a leading settlement in Saint Lucia.
- Due to its location on the northern tip of Gros Islet Quarter, there are countless seaside attractions that make it a well-loved area with residents and visitors alike.
- Students studying in this humble city are surrounded by rich history mixed with stunning, environmentally-conscious development.
- Gros Islet is a tranquil, accessible place with reliable transport infrastructure, extensive lifestyle benefits, sightseeing activities, a bustling marina and kite-surfing community, and Pigeon Island National Park.
- This beautiful Caribbean island nation is in the West Indies, Eastern Caribbean.
- Saint Lucia has a population exceeding 180,000 people and English is the official language in addition to a French-speaking community.
- The tropical rainforest climate gives the island consistently pleasant hot, temperate weather with a distinct dry season and rainy season.
- Saint Lucia is considered a safe idyllic country with a spectacular mix of mountains, volcanic terrain and hot springs, dense forests, plentiful wildlife, botanical gardens, and smaller coastal islands.