Why Study Medicine in English at Uzhhorod National University?
No Entry Exams
October & March
Up to the last 3 years
+Why choose Uzhhorod National University?
- Uzhhorod National University (UzhNU) is located in the charming city of Uzhhorod, the most inland regional city in Ukraine and is close to the borders of Hungary and Slovakia.
- UzhNU is a leading Ukrainian public university and is renowned for its history of high-level academia since its founding in 1945.
- The university has a population of over 13,000 students and attracts a significant number of international students with great study opportunities for rigorous programmes taught in English.
- The motto of UzhNU is “The more we know – the more we can” based on the university’s historic valorisation of wisdom advanced through education.
- As a leader in the academic world, UzhNU attracts a broad faculty of professors and researchers with its established research laboratories, institutes, and centers.
+What does the 6-Year Undergraduate Medicine Programme involve?
- Study medicine in English at Ukraine’s UzhNU with the 6-Year Undergraduate Medicine Programme.
- The programme for undergraduates comprises six years of study with each year consisting of two semesters of modules.
- Experts and tenured medical practitioners teach the general medicine programme at UzhNU with students learning from these professionals in academic, laboratory and clinical settings.
- The course is structured in a range of formats including in-class or pre-recorded lectures, interactive tutorials, class learning, laboratories, practical workshops, seminars, and consultations.
- Students are qualified with an MD (Doctor of Medicine) degree that is internationally recognised with significant worldwide demand in the field of healthcare and internal medicine.
+What are the SME Clinical Rotations in the UK, Ireland, Canada, USA & Australia?
- SME operates a special initiative for students studying at UzhNU to apply for international clinical rotations for up to three years.
- SME matches the UzhNU programme modules in teaching hospitals and clinical facilities in Ireland, the UK, the USA, Canada, and Australia.
- Interested students must apply to SME for the opportunity and are required to submit:
- Documentation comprising their CV and the rotation specifics ‒ the facility and its location, the name of the department and the duration of the rotation (in line with UzhNU’s study programme).
- Official authorised confirmation from their UzhNU programme Professor for their application.
- Due to the specialised nature of the initiative places are limited in number as well as in order of when applications are received with SME assessing applications based on this.
- The opportunity to undertake international clinical rotations diversifies a student’s skills and gives them further exposure to a range of professional settings which is invaluable for their studies and long-term career.
+Is Online Study Offered?
- In accordance with Paragraph 3 of Order, No 1541 of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, students who wish to study at a local medical university must relocate to Ukraine as online learning is prohibited for the study of medicine.
- None of the world’s Medical Councils recognises online education.
- In the UK, the General Medical Council (GMC), requires the following for international medicine:
- A minimum of 5,500 Clock Hours.
- Clock hours consist only of Lectures, Tutorials (Seminars) and Clinical Training.
- This does not include Distance Learning, Exams or Individual Work.
- In the US, the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG):
- Approves medical schools that have a physical campus, and.
- Whose main educational operations are conducted in the country of registration
- All Medical Councils evaluate the evidence of studies, including online studies, when medical graduates petition for registration:
- If a formal explanation is asked, students should have evidence and exemption documentation ready for online studies completed during Covid-19.
+ How Much Does the Programme Cost?
|Programme||Programme Starts||Annual Fees (*) ($)|
|Medicine||October & March||3800|
|Living Costs||Monthly ()||Annually ()|
|Rent (Private Accommodation)||110–220||1300–2600|
|Electricity & Gas||20||200|
+Admission to Uzhhorod National University
Applicants must provide the following information:
- An application which includes the following details: bio, education history and course for which you are applying.
- A copy of your secondary education results with subjects studied.
- Documents from your home country confirming that you are authorised to study in Ukraine.
- Two small photos of 4-5cm.
+Is Graduate Entry Offered?
- Graduate entry is not allowed in Ukraine as local medical universities refuse to recognise non-Ukrainian Bachelor’s degrees due to the dissimilarity between the syllabus of the medicine course and the foreign Bachelor’s degree. As a result, Ukrainian medical transcripts do not include subjects studied on a Bachelor’s degree.
+Life in Uzhhorod
- Uzhhorod is a very historic ninth century city and is the westernmost regional capital of Ukraine.
- Uzhhorod retains its centuries of history with the Uzh river dividing the city into the lively ‘old’ and ‘new’ with one of its ancient names referring to the castle that acted as fortification for citizens.
- The city is near the border of Slovakia and Hungary and is accessible from other cities and countries with the Uzhhorod railway.
- Uzhhorod has a pleasant regional climate that offers a rich quality of life with its cool to cold winters and warm summers.
- The city has a low cost of living and vibrant culture making it a relaxed, engaging place for students to live year-round.
+Living in Ukraine
- Ukraine is the biggest country in Europe and is known for its diverse cultures and lush landscape.
- Ukraine draws visitors and residents for its natural attractions including its landscapes from extraordinary mountains to deep lakes and ancient forests spotted with fairytale castles plus wonderful cuisine.
- Ukrainian people are well-known for their passion for academia, the arts, culture and hospitality.
Watch Our Videos
Real Success Stories
Open DaysEntry ExamsNetworking Events