Why Study Medicine in English at Sumy State University in Ukraine?
No Entry Exams
Up to the last 3 years
+ Why choose Sumy State University?
- Sumy State University (SSU) is situated in Sumy city in the North-East of Ukraine.
- The university has been rated by Webometrics, U-Multirank and uniRank as one of the finest universities in Ukraine.
- It currently serves about 16,000 students of which 1,300 are foreign, representing over 50 different countries. SSU features a lively international student community.
- SSU boasts many global links and has cooperated with more than 200 international partners.
- With almost 100 sports clubs to choose from, SSU is a great choice for sporty types. The university is well known for its sporting acumen with some students going on to compete in the Olympic Games, World, European and Ukrainian Championships.
+ What is the 6-Year Undergraduate Medicine Course?
- Medicine is a 6-year course and is taught exclusively through English.
- Course class groups consist of about 8-10 students, ensuring an excellent student-teacher ratio.
- The medicine programme brings together different fundamental and clinical disciplines.
- In the second and third year of their studies, students will gain practical experience in patient care through clinical studies.
- The university actively encourages medical students to participate in academic mobility programmes, international conferences, summer international practice and volunteering.
+ Is Online Study offered?
- According to Paragraph 3 of Order, No 1541 of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, online learning is not permitted for any medicine programmes or courses. Students who are interested in attending a local medical university have to relocate physically to Ukraine and attend classes in person.
+ Is Graduate Entry Offered?
- In Ukraine, graduate entry is not permitted since local medical universities refuse to recognise non-Ukrainian Bachelor’s degrees due to significant differences in the study programmes of the medicine course and the foreign BSc degree. So Ukrainian medical transcripts cannot include subjects that were studied in a Bachelor’s degree.
+ How much does the programme cost?
|Programme||Programme Starts||Annual Fees ()|
|Medicine||October & March||4,300|
|Living Costs||Monthly ()||Annually ()|
|Rent (Private Accommodation)||100–200||1,200–2,400|
|Electricity & Gas||18||180|
+ Admission to Sumy State University
Applicants must provide the following information:
- An application which includes the following details: bio, education history and course for which you are applying.
- A copy of your secondary education results with subjects studied.
- Documents from your home country confirming that you are authorised to study in Ukraine.
- Two small photos of 4-5cm.
+ Medical Council Requirements for Recognising Medical Degrees
- Many of the world’s Medical Councils require that the Medical School that awarded the Doctor of Medicine degree (MD) be listed on the World Directory of Medical Schools (WDMS).
- Additionally, each region has its own requirements:
- The General Medical Council (GMC) expects a medical degree to have a minimum 5,500 Clock Hours over a minimum period of three years.
- The Educational Commission For Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) requires a medical degree to have a minimum duration of four years.
- The Australian Medical Council (AMC) maintains an additional database of Recognised Medical Schools.
- It also requires a medical degree to have a minimum duration of four years.
+ Life in Sumy
- Situated on the banks of the Psel River, the charming city of Sumy is the administrative capital of the north-eastern Sumy Region.
- More than 44,000 students live in Sumy, and it has become known as the “City of Students”.
- Well-known for its wealth of cultural activities, Sumy boasts numerous theatres, museums, and art galleries and hosts a number of internationally-acclaimed music festivals.
- The city of Sumy is dotted with many examples of beautiful modern and traditional architecture.
- With its well-connected public transport system, foreigners will have no problem travelling throughout the city.
+ Living in Ukraine
- As the largest country in Europe, Ukraine offers foreign students a wealth of diverse cultures to explore.
- Often overlooked by tourists, Ukraine offers students an authentic experience of Eastern Europe.
- Nature-lovers will delight in Ukraine’s magnificent landscapes and 20 natural reserves.
- Ukraine is an ideal choice for students due to its low cost of living and excellent education system.
Watch Our Videos
Real Success Stories
Open DaysEntry ExamsNetworking Events