Why Study Medicine in English at Sumy State University in Ukraine?
No Entry Exams
Up to the last 3 years
+ Why choose Sumy State University?
- Sumy State University (SSU) is situated in Sumy city in the North-East of Ukraine.
- The university has been rated by Webometrics, U-Multirank and uniRank as one of the finest universities in Ukraine.
- It currently serves about 16,000 students of which 1,300 are foreign, representing over 50 different countries. SSU features a lively international student community.
- SSU boasts many global links and has cooperated with more than 200 international partners.
- With almost 100 sports clubs to choose from, SSU is a great choice for sporty types. The university is well known for its sporting acumen with some students going on to compete in the Olympic Games, World, European and Ukrainian Championships.
+ What is the 6-Year Undergraduate Medicine Course?
- Medicine is a 6-year course and is taught exclusively through English.
- Course class groups consist of about 8-10 students, ensuring an excellent student-teacher ratio.
- The medicine programme brings together different fundamental and clinical disciplines.
- In the second and third year of their studies, students will gain practical experience in patient care through clinical studies.
- The university actively encourages medical students to participate in academic mobility programmes, international conferences, summer international practice and volunteering.
+ How do the SME Clinical Rotations in the UK, Ireland, Canada, USA & Australia work?
- SME offers SSU students the special opportunity to complete international clinical rotations for up to three years in medical hospitals and facilities abroad.
- The rotations are in line with the SSU clinical modules matched by SME placements in professional settings in Canada, the USA, Australia, Ireland, and the UK.
- SSU students must apply directly to SME for the rotations with submission of the following documents:
○ Rotations preferences consisting of the location, department, and duration of the placement, as well as their CV.
○ An official authorised confirmation from their SSU Professor who coordinates their programme.
- Places in the international regions are limited therefore SME assesses and approves applications in order of submission and based on the ability to match the student.
- Undertaking international experience while studying is a fantastic opportunity for students to extend their skills, diversify their clinical immersion, and learn in dynamic settings.
+ How much does the programme cost?
|Programme||Programme Starts||Annual Fees ()|
|Medicine||october & March||4,300|
|Living Costs||Monthly ()||Annually ()|
|Rent (Private Accommodation)||100–200||1,200–2,400|
|Electricity & Gas||18||180|
+ Admission to Sumy State University
Applicants must provide the following information:
- An application which includes the following details: bio, education history and course for which you are applying.
- A copy of your secondary education results with subjects studied.
- Documents from your home country confirming that you are authorised to study in Ukraine.
- Two small photos of 4-5cm.
+ Life in Sumy
- Situated on the banks of the Psel River, the charming city of Sumy is the administrative capital of the north-eastern Sumy Region.
- More than 44,000 students live in Sumy, and it has become known as the “City of Students.”
- Well-known for its wealth of cultural activities, Sumy boasts numerous theatres, museums, and art galleries and hosts a number of internationally-acclaimed music festivals.
- The city of Sumy is dotted with many examples of beautiful modern and traditional architecture.
- With its well-connected public transport system, foreigners will have no problem travelling throughout the city.
+ Living in Ukraine
- As the largest country in Europe, Ukraine offers foreign students a wealth of diverse cultures to explore.
- Often overlooked by tourists, Ukraine offers students an authentic experience of Eastern Europe.
- Nature-lovers will delight in Ukraine’s magnificent landscapes and 20 natural reserves.
- Ukraine is an ideal choice for students due to its low cost of living and excellent education system.
+Is Online Study offered?
- Distance/online learning is expressly forbidden from all courses offered in the healthcare sector, such as Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, and so on, according to Paragraph 3 of Order No 1541 of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.
- Students must migrate to Ukraine and be physically present at the university in order to study at a Ukrainian medical university.
- None of the world’s medical councils does not now recognise online studies (distance learning/ e-learning studies).
- In the UK, the General Medical Council (GMC), requires the following for international medicine
- A minimum of 5,500 Clock Hours.
- Clock hours consist only of Lectures, Tutorials (Seminars) and Clinical Training.
- This does not include Distance Learning, Exams or Individual Work
- In the US, the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG):
- Approves medical schools that have a physical campus, and.
- Whose main educational operations are conducted in the country of registration
- When medical graduates apply for registration, all Medical Councils assess the evidence of studies, including online study:
- Students are advised to have a formal explanation prepared if requested, including evidence and exception documentation for online studies completed during Covid-19.
Watch Our Videos
Real Success Stories
Open DaysEntry ExamsNetworking Events