Now that you have graduated, you can practice medicine in the country of your choice given that all Degrees awarded by our partner Medical Universities in Bulgaria and Romania are recognized globally from the local bodies responsible for accrediting the majority of graduate medical training programs (the USA and UK bodies are ACGME and GMC, respectively). Yes, it is as though you had invested your service fee with us, because for the same fee you had paid us six years before, it is now that you will truly need Study Medicine Europe's services the most! For all six years, Study Medicine Europe stands by you!
Specifically for the UK, which is where most of our students come from, all EU medical graduates should simply register with the local body before they can legally practice, or additionally go through any assessment procedure through the respective local bodies if they are non-EU graduates or if they are going to certain non-EU countries. Please note that in some non-EU countries, medical staff that have not acquired a degree from a local University must go through specific processes which may vary greatly.
EU graduates interested in practicing in the UK are entitled to register directly into Foundation Year 2 (FY2). The same applies for medical graduates who want to have their residency in Germany, France or any other European country, as they can enter straight into local specialization or residency programmes.
Additionally, graduates of Bulgarian and Romanian Medical Universities who want to practice in non-EU countries can secure a place to sit for the required entrance exams and assessment by local bodies as required by law in these countries. For instance, US nationals should register with the ECFMG (Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates) in order to complete the USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Examination) examination. Another example would be Canadian nationals who should register with the MCC (Medical Council of Canada) in order to pass the MCCEE (Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination). These procedures are normal in most of these countries when seeking job positions in the medical profession.
Prior to feeling snowed under with all the stress of putting into practice all that you have learnt, Study Medicine Europe organizes classes or workshop sessions that provide you with the general guidelines, including notes, pre-recorded videos, and an overview of registration procedures in specific countries or cases, including, especially, on how our students can register at the respective UK council before they have even graduated from one of our partner Bulgarian or Romanian Universities. We inform students of certification, legalization and translation of the required documents and where their supporting documents have to be sent to expedite the process.
More specifically for the UK, if you have become a doctor in medicine, dentistry or veterinary science, we assist you in one of the following key areas, thus fulfilling our promise of actualizing your academic dream we had prescribed for you six years before, so keep reading:
1. After the completion of a Medicine programme in one of our partner Universities in Bulgaria or Romania, we help graduates register with the GMC (General Medical Council) at the postgraduate grade FY2 (Foundation Year 2) helping you skip FY1 (Foundation Year 1), as FY1 is equal to the 6th year internship you will have completed at the Bulgarian or Romanian Medical University. This is because the degree offered by UK Universities is an MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) which is a 5-year programme, while in Bulgaria or Romania the Degree offered is an MD (Doctor of Medicine) which is a 6-year programme. A graduate from a UK Medical University will have to go through both FY1 and FY2 before he or she starts practicing in the UK, while a graduate from one of our partner Bulgarian or Romanian Medical Universities can go directly into FY2.
2. After the completion of a Dentistry programme in one of our partner medical Universities in Bulgaria or Romania, graduates can register the with GDC (General Dental Council) and start working in the UK skipping the VT year (Vocational Training) which is an internship year done in the UK by the graduates of a UK Dental School. This is because the Degree offered by UK Universities is a BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) which is a 5-year programme, while in Bulgarian or Romanian Universities the Degree offered is a DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine) which is 6-year programme, as the 6th year internship you will have completed there is equivalent to the VT in the UK. A graduate of a UK Medical University will have to go through an internship year called VT year but the graduate of a Bulgarian/ Romanian Medical University can start working immediately, as practice is not compulsory.
3. After the completion of a Veterinary programme in one of our partner medical Universities in Bulgaria or Romania, graduate can register with the RCVS (Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons) and start working in the UK. This is because the degree offered by the UK Universities is a BVSc (Bachelor of Veterinary Science) which is a 5-6 year programme while Bulgarian and Romanian Universities offer a DVM Degree (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine) which is 5.5-6 year programme, including a 6-month internship. Both UK Medical University and Bulgarian or Romanian Medical University graduates can start working immediately, as practice is not compulsory.
- For information on registration in other countries, such as the USA or Canada, please contact us directly or click here.
- We also help you become acquainted with local pharmaceutical terminology by offering courses and materials to get your medical career started on the right foot!